Perioperative patient optimization can minimize the need for blood transfusions in patients undergoing total hip arthroplasty (THA) and total knee arthroplasty (TKA). The purpose of this study was to determine predictors and complications of transfusions. This retrospective review analyzed 1795 patients who underwent primary THA and TKA at our institution between January 2011 and December 2012. Of the 1573 patients ultimately included the rates of transfusion were 9.27% in TKA and 26.6% in THA. Significant predictors for transfusion include: preoperative hemoglobin, age, female gender, body mass index, creatinine, TKA, operating room time, operative blood loss, and intra-operative fluids. The DVT rate was comparable, but deep surgical site infection rate among transfused patients was 2.4% compared to 0.5% in non-transfused patients (P = 0.0065).
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Arthroplasty
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Projections of primary and revision hip and knee arthroplasty in the United States from 2005 to 2030.J Bone Joint Surg. 2007; 89: 780
- An analysis of blood management in patients having a total hip or knee arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg. 1999; 81-A: 2
- Blood transfusions in orthopaedic operations.J Bone Joint Surg. 1996; 78-A: 1260
- Risks associated with blood transfusion after total knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2004; 19: 281
- Blood transfusion costs: a multicenter study.Transfusion. 1991; 31: 318
- Cost minimization analysis of preoperative erythropoietin vs autologous and allogeneic blood donation in total joint arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2010; 25: 93
- Transfusion rates are increasing following total hip arthroplasty: risk factors and outcomes.J Arthroplasty. 2013; 28: 34
- Blood transfusion strategies for total knee arthroplasty: minimizing autologous blood wastage, risk of homologous blood transfusion, and transfusion cost.J Arthroplasty. 1998; 13: 70
- Where does the blood go? Prospective observational study of red cell transfusion in North England.Br Med J. 2002; 325: 803
- The predictors of red cell transfusions in total hip arthroplasties.Transfusion. 1996; 36: 144
- Blood transfusion requirement prediction in patients undergoing primary total hip and knee arthroplasty.Transfus Med. 2007; 17: 37
- Predicting need for allogeneic transfusion after total knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2012; 27: 961
- A blood conservation algorithm to reduce blood transfusion after total hip and knee arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg. 2004; 86-A: 1512
- Orthopedic Surgery Transfusion Hemoglobin European Overview (OSTHEO) study: blood management in elective knee and hip arthroplasty in Europe.Transfusion. 2003; 43: 459
- Role of preoperative anemia for risk of transfusion and postoperative morbidity in fast-track hip and knee arthroplasty.Transfusion. 2013; 54: 717
- Transfusion options in total joint arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2002; 17: 125
- Erythropoietin reduced the need for allogeneic blood transfusion in total hip joint arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg. 2001; 83-A: 788
- Erythropoietin with iron supplementation to prevent allogeneic blood transfusion in total hip joint arthroplasty: a randomized, controlled trial.Ann Intern Med. 2000; 133: 845
- Symptomatic in-hospital DVT and PE following hip and knee arthroplasty among patients receiving recommended prophylaxis.J Am Med Assoc. 2012; 307: 294
- Clinical factors associated with an increased risk of perioperative blood transfusion in non-anemic patients undergoing total hip arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg. 2004; 86-A: 57
Published online: May 24, 2014
Accepted: March 3, 2014
Received: August 17, 2013
The Conflict of Interest statement associated with this article can be found at http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2014.03.048.
© 2014 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.