From the joint registry of 2831 primary total hip arthroplasties (2351 patients) performed between 1998 and 2003, we identified 15 patients (16 hips) who had a documented history of substance abuse disorders at the time of the index surgery. The patients included 13 men (14 hips) and 2 women (2 hips), with the mean age of 49 years (range, 29-65 years). On the basis of the criteria specified in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, 13 patients had alcohol abuse disorders, 1 had amphetamine abuse disorder, and 1 had heroin abuse disorder. We found high rates of postoperative substance withdrawal delirium and psychosis (46%), late complication (25%), and lost to follow-up (27%) in these patients. Because patients with substance abuse disorders have unexpected perioperative psychotic episodes, poor compliance, and a tendency to not follow medical advice after surgery and show early discontinuation of follow-up, we suggest that surgeons should work with other medical professionals and carefully perform total hip arthroplasty in such patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Arthroplasty
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Total hip and total knee replacement (first of two parts).N Engl J Med. 1990; 323: 725
- A cost-effectiveness analysis of total hip arthroplasty for osteoarthritis of the hip.JAMA. 1996; 275: 858
- Cognitive status after hip replacement.Phys Occup Ther Geriatr. 2002; 21: 51
- Psychological and psychiatric factors related to health-related quality of life after total hip replacement—preliminary report.Eur Psychiatry. 2009; 24: 119
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.4th Ed. American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC2000
- Predictors of health-related quality of life change after total hip arthroplasty.Clin Orthop. 2009; 467: 2886
- Psychosocial and geriatric correlates of functional status after total hip replacement.Arthritis Rheum. 2004; 51: 829
- Factors affecting flexion after total knee arthroplasty.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007; 464: 53
- Patient-related risk factors for early revision of total hip replacements. A population register–based case-control study of 674 revised hips.Acta Orthop Scand. 1997; 68: 207
- Helping people with severe mental illness to obtain work: systemic review.BMJ. 2001; 322: 204
- Traumatic arthritis of the hip after dislocation and acetabular fracture: treatment by Mold arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1969; 51: 737
- Radiological demarcation of cemented sockets in total hip replacement.Clin Orthop. 1976; 121: 20
- “Modes of failure” of cemented stem-type femoral component: a radiographic analysis of loosening.Clin Orthop. 1979; 141: 17
- Patient characteristics in dislocations after primary total arthroplasty. 60 patients compared with a control group.Acta Orthop Scand. 1995; 66: 225
- The dislocating hip. What to do, what to do.J Arthroplasty. 2004; 19: 111
- Incidence and pathogenesis of alcohol-induced osteonecrosis of the femoral head.Clin Orthop. 1979; 143: 222
- Differences in age, laterality, and Steinberg stage at initial presentation in patients with steroid-induced, alcohol-induced, and idiopathic femoral head osteonecrosis.J Arthroplasty. 1999; 14: 672
- Investigation of alcohol metabolizing enzyme genes in Chinese alcoholics with avascular necrosis of hip joint, pancreatitis and cirrhosis of the liver.Alcohol Alcohol. 2003; 38: 431
- Infection after total joint arthroplasty in patients with human immunodeficiency virus or intravenous drug use.J Arthroplasty. 2001; 16: 330
- Periprosthetic total joint infections.Clin Orthop. 2002; 403: 23
Published online: February 10, 2012
Accepted: December 6, 2011
Received: June 9, 2011
The conflict of interest statement associated with this article can be found at doi:10.1016/j.arth.2011.12.003.
© 2012 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.