The use of stemmed modular components in revision total knee arthroplasty has led to increasingly described pain located at the tip of the stem of the implant. This has been described in the literature as being due to the elastic modulus mismatch between the stem tip and the host bone. Current management is re-revision total knee arthroplasty in an attempt to alleviate the mismatch. This case report describes a novel technique using a dynamic compression plate acting as a tension band at the stem tip to successfully treat this condition.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Arthroplasty
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Revision total knee arthroplasty with use of modular components with stems inserted without cement.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1995; 77: 1700
- Principles of revision total knee arthroplasty.Orthop Clin North Am. 1998; 29: 331
- Results of revision total knee arthroplasty associated with significant bone loss.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1991; 271: 114
- Treatment of major defects of bone with bulk allografts and stemmed components during total knee arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1997; 79: 1030
- Pain at the end of the stem after revision total knee arthroplasty.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1999; 367: 216
- Cemented long-stem revision total knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2003; 18: 592
- Revision total knee arthroplasty with modular components inserted with metaphyseal cement and stem without cement.J Arthroplasty. 2005; 20: 302
- Tibia pain at end of stem with stemmed revision total knee arthroplasty: treatment with cortical strut graft technique.J Arthroplasty. 2010; 25: 497
- Anterior tension band plating for anterior tibial stress fractures in high-performance female athletes.J Orthop Trauma. 2006; 20: 425
- Assessment of radionuclide arthrography in the evaluation of loosening of knee prostheses.Knee. 2006; : 220
- Noncemented stem tibial component in total knee replacement: the 2- to 6-year results.Can J Surg. 1993; 36: 555
- The effect of stem design on end-of-stem pain in revision total knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2004; 19: 119
- Bone scans after total knee arthroplasty in asymptomatic patients. Cemented versus cementless.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1990; 251: 183
Published online: March 07, 2012
Accepted: December 31, 2011
Received: February 7, 2011
The Conflict of Interest statement associated with this article can be found at doi:10.1016/j.arth.2011.12.032.
© 2012 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.