Although the incidence of vascular injuries after total knee arthroplasty is quite low, clinical outcome could be significantly impaired. Quick response and accurate management are important to achieve the best possible outcome. We present 3 cases of popliteal pseudoaneurysm formation after total knee arthroplasty and their treatment by endovascular stenting together with a review of literature.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Arthroplasty
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- False aneurysm of the superior lateral geniculate artery following total knee replacement.Knee. 2002; 9: 349
- False aneurysm of the popliteal artery: a rare complication of total knee replacement.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2000; 8: 53
- Arterial complications and total knee arthroplasty.J Am Orthop Surg. 2001; 9: 253
- Insertion of a covered stent for treatment of a popliteal artery pseudoaneurysm following total knee arthroplasty.Br J Radiol. 2003; 76: 195
- Arteriovenous fistula with false aneurysm of the inferior medial geniculate artery.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1987; 222: 255
- Arteriovenous fistula after fibular osteotomy leading to recurrent haemarthroses in a total knee replacement.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1996; 78: 458
- Arterial complications of total knee replacement.Arch Surg. 1984; 119: 960
- Arterial complications after knee arthroplasty: 4 cases and a review of the literature.Acta Orthop Scand. 1996; 67: 75
- Popliteal aneurysm after total knee arthroplasty. Case reports and review of the literature.J Arthroplasty. 1990; 5: 301
- Pseudoaneurysm of the inferior medial geniculate artery following primary total knee arthroplasty: delayed presentation with recurrent haemorrhagic episodes.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2006; 14: 153
- Acute arterial complications associated with total hip and knee arthroplasty.J Vasc Surg. 2003; 38: 1170
- Local vascular complications after total knee replacement: a review with illustrative case reports.Knee. 2001; 8: 259
- Vascular complications of total knee arthroplasty: a report of three cases.J Arthroplasty. 1987; 2: 89
- Popliteal pseudoaneurysm following total knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 1998; 13: 830
- Arterial and ischemic aspects of total knee arthroplasty.Am J Surg. 1992; 164: 237
- Vascular injuries after total joint arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2008; 23: 1115
- Popliteal artery pseudoaneurysm after total knee replacement.VASA. 2007; 36: 145
- Case report: pseudoaneurysm of the popliteal artery complicating a total knee replacement: a successful percutaneous endovascular treatment.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2001; 1: 81
- Injury to the popliteal artery and its anatomic location in total knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 1999; 14: 803
- Pseudoaneurysm of the geniculate artery following total knee arthroplasty: a report of two cases.J Orthop Surg. 2007; 15: 386
- Vascular injuries in total knee arthroplasty. A review of the problem with special reference to the possible effects of the tourniquet.J Arthroplasty. 1998; 13: 211
- Common complications of total knee arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1997; 79-A: 278
- Endovascular management of pseudoaneurysms following lower limb orthopaedic surgery.Am J Orthop. 2008; 37: E99
- Popliteal pseudoaneurysm after total knee arthroplasty: MRI of the vascular anatomy.Orthopedics. 2002; 25: 187
Published online: March 15, 2012
Accepted: November 27, 2012
Received in revised form: October 21, 2011
Received: May 2, 2011
The Conflict of Interest associated with this article can be found at doi:10.1016/j.arth.2011.11.022.
© 2012 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.