Thirteen patients with infected total knee arthroplasty treated by 2-stage revision requiring tibial tubercle osteotomy in both stages for extensile exposure were retrospectively analyzed. The preoperative mean range of knee motion improved from 60° (range, 30°-90°) to 94° (range, 70°-120°) at latest follow-up. The Knee Society knee scores and function scores were 39 and 18 preoperatively and 78 and 67 at latest follow-up, respectively. Although proximal migration occurred in 3 cases and a partial proximal avulsion fracture of the osteotomy segment occurred in 1 case after the second-stage reimplantation, radiographic bony union was observed in all cases. Sequential repeated tibial tubercle osteotomy can be a useful extensile surgical approach in staged revision for infected total knee arthroplasty with satisfactory clinical and radiographic outcomes.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Arthroplasty
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Surgical exposures in revision total knee arthroplasty.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006; 446: 59
- V-Y quadricepsplasty in total knee arthroplasty.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1993; 286: 48
- Exposure in difficult total knee arthroplasty using coronal tibial tubercle osteotomy.J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2000; 8: 61
- Exposure in difficult total knee arthroplasty using tibial tubercle osteotomy.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1995; 321: 32
- Tibial tubercle osteotomy in total knee arthroplasty surgery.J Arthroplasty. 2008; 23: 371
- Extended tibial tubercle osteotomy in total knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 1996; 11: 964
- Tibial tubercle osteotomy for exposure of the difficult total knee arthroplasty.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1990; 260: 6
- Osteotomy of the tibial tubercle in total knee replacement. A technical note.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1983; 65: 704
- The results of tibial tubercle osteotomy for revision total knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2004; 19: 167
- Step-cut tibial tubercle osteotomy for access in revision total knee replacement.Knee. 2006; 13: 430
- Does repeat tibial tubercle osteotomy or intramedullary extension affect the union rate in revision total knee arthroplasty? A retrospective study of 74 patients.Acta Orthop. 2009; 80: 426
Published online: May 21, 2012
Accepted: March 13, 2012
Received: November 23, 2011
The Conflict of Interest statement associated with this article can be found at doi:10.1016/j.arth.2012.03.016.
© 2012 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.