When Is It Safe for Patients to Drive after Right Total Hip Arthroplasty?

Published:November 25, 2014DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2014.11.015

      Abstract

      Old studies recommend 6 weeks post-operative before patients can return to driving safely. This is a prospective study assessing brake reaction time (BRT) after THA. 38 patients underwent a pre-operative, 2, 4 and 6 weeks post-operative BRT test. General linear repeated measurement was used. The mean pre-operative reaction time was 0.635 ± 0.160 seconds SD and 2-week was 0.576 ± 0.137 seconds SD (P = 0.029); 33 patients (87%) were able to reach their baseline time by 2 weeks. The remaining five patients (13%) reached their baseline at the 4-week post-operative. No differences were found with respect to age, gender, and the use of assistive devices. With new techniques in THA, most of patients return to normal times within the 2-week.

      Keywords

      To read this article in full you will need to make a payment

      Purchase one-time access:

      Academic and Personal
      One-time access price info
      • For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
      • For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'

      Subscribe:

      Subscribe to The Journal of Arthroplasty
      Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
      Already an online subscriber? Sign in
      Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect

      References

        • Kurtz S.M.
        • Ong K.L.
        • Lau E.
        • et al.
        Impact of the economic downturn on total joint replacement demand in the United States: updated projections to 2021.
        J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014; 96: 624
        • MacDonald W.
        • Owen J.W.
        The effect of total hip replacement on driving reactions.
        J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1988; 70-b: 202
        • Ganz S.B.
        • Levin A.Z.
        • Peterson M.G.
        • et al.
        Improvement in driving reaction time after total hip replacement.
        Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003; 413: 192
        • Rod Fleury T.
        • Favrat B.
        • Belaieff W.
        • et al.
        Resuming motor vehicle driving following orthopaedic surgery or limb trauma.
        Swiss Med Wkly. 2012; 142: w13716
        • Rodriguez J.A.
        • Deshmukh A.J.
        • Rathod P.A.
        • et al.
        Does the direct anterior approach in THA offer faster rehabilitation and comparable safety to the posterior approach?.
        Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014; 472: 455
        • Restrepo C.
        • Parvizi J.
        • Pour A.E.
        • et al.
        Prospective randomized study of two surgical approaches for total hip arthroplasty.
        J Arthroplasty. 2010; 25: 671.e1
        • Green Marc
        “How long does it take to stop?” Methodological analysis of driver perception-brake times.
        Transp Hum Factors. 2000; 2: 195
        • Procyk S.
        Initial results with a mini-posterior approach for total hip arthroplasty.
        Int Orthop. 2007; 31: S17
        • Dorr L.D.
        • Maheshwari A.V.
        • Long W.T.
        • et al.
        Early pain relief and function after posterior minimally invasive and conventional total hip arthroplasty. A prospective, randomized, blinded study.
        J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007; 89: 1153
        • Parnell Meredith
        • Robinson Stephanie
        • Stone Kristin
        • et al.
        On the Road to Safety: Standardizing the RT-2S Brake Reaction Time Tester.
        ROADI, East Carolina University, 2007 ([http://www.ecu.edu/cs-dhs/ot/upload/AOTA_Brake_Reaction_Poster.pdf])