Level of Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Feasibility and safety of performing outpatient unicompartmental knee arthroplasty.Int Orthop. 2014; 38: 443-447
- Antimicrobial prophylaxis for surgery.Treat Guidel Med Lett. 2012; 10: 73-78
- Recommendations for the use of intravenous antibiotic prophylaxis in primary total joint arthroplasty.2004 (Accessed online https://www.aaos.org/uploadedFiles/PreProduction/About/Opinion_Statements/advistmt/1027%20Recommendations%20for%20the%20Use%20of%20Intravenous%20Antibiotic%20Prophylaxis%20in%20Primary%20Total%20Joint%20Arthroplasy.pdf)
- Antibiotic prophylaxis for wound infections in total joint arthroplasty: a systematic review.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008; 90: 915-919
- Randomised controlled trial of single-dose antibiotic prophylaxis in surgical treatment of closed fractures: the Dutch Trauma Trial.Lancet. 1996; 347: 1133-1137
- Clinical practice guidelines for antimicrobial prophylaxis in surgery.Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2013; 14: 73-156
- The surgical infection prevention and surgical care improvement projects: national initiatives to improve outcomes for patients having surgery.Clin Infect Dis. 2006; 43: 322-330
- Infection burden for hip and knee arthroplasty in the United States.J Arthroplasty. 2008; 23: 984-991
- Perioperative cefazolin prophylaxis in hip fracture surgery.Can J Surg. 1990; 33: 122-127
- Prophylaxis against infection. Single-dose cefonicid compared with multiple-dose cefamandole.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1991; 73: 1044-1048
- Antimicrobial prophylaxis with ceftizoxime versus cefuroxime in orthopedic surgery. Ceftizoxime Orthopedic Surgery Italian Study Group.J Chemother. 1991; 3: 34-35
- Perioperative cefamandole prophylaxis against infections.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1987; 69: 1189-1193
- Single-dose vs multiple-dose antibiotic prophylaxis in instrumented lumbar fusion—a prospective study.Surg Neurol. 2008; 70: 622-627
- Short-term preventive antibiotics.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1986; 205: 184-187
- Efficacy of teicoplanin for the prevention of surgical site infections after total hip or knee arthroplasty: a prospective, open-label study.Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2009; 33: 437-440
- Antibiotic prophylaxis in the surgical treatment of peritrochanteric fractures: a comparative trial between two cephalosporins.Chemotherapy. 1990; 36: 448-453
- A double-blinded, randomized, controlled clinical trial to compare cefazolin and cefonicid for antimicrobial prophylaxis in clean orthopedic surgery.Isr J Med Sci. 1995; 31: 62-64
- Teicoplanin vs cephamandole for antimicrobial prophylaxis in prosthetic joint implant surgery: (preliminary results).Eur J Surg Suppl. 1992; : 19-21
- Comparative multicenter trial of teicoplanin versus cefazolin for antimicrobial prophylaxis in prosthetic joint implant surgery. Italian Study Group for Antimicrobial Prophylaxis in Orthopedic Surgery.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 1999; 18: 113-119
- Comparison of intraoperative versus 24 hour antibiotic prophylaxis in total joint replacement. A controlled prospective study.Orthop Rev. 1989; 18: 694-696
- Teicoplanin versus cefamandole in the prevention of infection in total hip replacement.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 1994; 13: 793-796
- Cefuroxime for prevention of postoperative coxitis. One versus three doses tested in a randomized multicenter study of 2,651 arthroplasties.Acta Orthop Scand. 1992; 63: 19-24
- Unicondylar knee arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1989; 71: 145-150
- Surgical treatment of unicompartmental degenerative arthritis of the knee.Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 1988; 14: 545-564
- Outcomes of routine use of antibiotic-loaded cement in primary total knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2009; 24: 44-47
- Antibiotic-laden bone cement in primary and revision hip and knee arthroplasty.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2018; 26: 727-734
- The hidden cost of commercial antibiotic-loaded bone cement: a systematic review of clinical results and cost implications following total knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2018; 33: 3789-3792
One or more of the authors of this paper have disclosed potential or pertinent conflicts of interest, which may include receipt of payment, either direct or indirect, institutional support, or association with an entity in the biomedical field which may be perceived to have potential conflict of interest with this work. For full disclosure statements refer to doi:10.1016/j.arth.2019.02.041.
Each author certifies that he or she has no commercial associations (e.g., consultancies, stock ownership, equity interest, patent/licensing arrangements, etc.) that might pose a conflict of interest in connection with the submitted article.
Investigation was performed at the Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN.
Cody C. Wyles and Juan S. Vargas-Hernandez are co-first authors.