Level of Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Projections of primary and revision hip and knee arthroplasty in the United States from 2005 to 2030.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007; 89: 780-785
- Prosthetic joint infection update.Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2018; 32: 843-859
- Prosthetic-joint infections: mortality over the last 10 years.J Bone Joint Infect. 2019; 4: 198-202
- Current concepts: prosthetic-joint infections.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 1645-1654
- Incidence of prosthetic joint infections after primary knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2010; 25: 87-92
- Perioperative antibiotic prophylaxis in total joint arthroplasty: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019; 101: 828-842
- Perioperative antibiotic prophylaxis in total joint arthroplasty: a single dose is as effective as multiple doses.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019; 101: 429-437
- Economic burden of patient-reported penicillin allergy on total hip and total knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2021; 36: 3067-3072
- Is patient-reported penicillin allergy independently associated with increased risk of prosthetic joint infection after total joint arthroplasty of the hip, knee, and shoulder?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2020; 478: 2699-2709
- 2019 John Charnley Award: increased risk of prosthetic joint infection following primary total knee and hip arthroplasty with the use of alternative antibiotics to cefazolin.Bone Joint J. 2019; 101 B: 9-15
- Validation of the KOOS, JR: a Short-form knee arthroplasty outcomes Survey.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2016; 474: 1461-1471
- CORR Insights ®: Validation of the HOOS, JR: a Short-form hip replacement Survey.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2016; 474: 1483-1485
- R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing.R: Foundation for Statistical Computing, 2020
- Periprosthetic joint infection increases the risk of one-year mortality.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013; 95: 2177-2184
- Prosthetic joint infection.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2014; 27: 302-345
- Risk factors, diagnosis and management of prosthetic joint infection after total hip arthroplasty.Expert Rev Med Dev. 2019; 16: 1063-1070
- The impact of a reported penicillin allergy on surgical site infection risk.Clin Infect Dis. 2018; 66: 329-336
- The impact of patient-reported penicillin allergy on risk for surgical site infection in total joint arthroplasty.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2019; 27: 854-860
- The impact of patient-reported penicillin or cephalosporin allergy on surgical site infections.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2021; : 1-5
- Overdiagnosis of penicillin allergy leads to costly, inappropriate treatment.JAMA. 2018; 320: 1846-1848
- Risk of meticillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus and Clostridium difficile in patients with a documented penicillin allergy: population based matched cohort study.BMJ. 2018; 361: k2400
- Penicillin allergy testing: a key component of antibiotic stewardship.Clin Infect Dis. 2017; 64: 531-532
- Preoperative allergy testing for patients reporting penicillin and cephalosporin allergies is cost-effective in preventing infection after total knee and hip arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2021; 36: 700-704
- The use of cephalosporins in penicillin-allergic patients: a literature review.J Emerg Med. 2012; 42: 612-620
- An updated review of the molecular mechanisms in drug hypersensitivity.J Immunol Res. 2018; 2018
- Extended oral antibiotic prophylaxis in high-risk patients substantially reduces primary total hip and knee arthroplasty 90-day infection rate.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2018; 100: 2103-2109
- The AAHKS clinical research award: extended oral antibiotics prevent periprosthetic joint infection in high-risk cases: 3855 patients with 1-year follow-up.J Arthroplasty. 2021; 36: S18-S25
- Antibiotic stewardship for total joint arthroplasty in 2020.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2020; 28: e793-e802
One or more of the authors of this paper have disclosed potential or pertinent conflicts of interest, which may include receipt of payment, either direct or indirect, institutional support, or association with an entity in the biomedical field which may be perceived to have potential conflict of interest with this work. For full disclosure statements refer to https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2021.09.008.
Conflicts of Interest: Dr Ran Schwarzkopf receives royalties from Smith & Nephew, is a paid consultant for Smith & Nephew and Intellijoint, has stocks in Intellijoint and Gauss Surgical, receives research support from Smith & Nephew and Intellijoint, is on the editorial board of the Journal of Arthroplasty and Arthroplasty today, and is a board member of AAHKS and AAOS. The remaining authors have no relevant financial or non-financial interests to disclose.
Funding: There was no source of funding for this study.
Institutional Review Board Approval: Data were retrieved as a quality improvement project and were thus exempt from Institutional Review Board approval.