- •There seems to be no difference between bipolar and unipolar hemiarthroplasty with regards to hip function scores, Health-PROs and complications at two years.
- •Bipolar hemiarthroplasty might decrease the risk of acetabular erosion.
Level of evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The long-term postoperative trajectory of geriatric patients admitted for a hip fracture: a prospective observational cohort study.Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2020; 106: 621-625https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otsr.2019.11.017
- Does a bipolar hemiprosthesis offer advantages for elderly patients with neck of femur fracture? A clinical trial with 261 patients.ANZ J Surg. 2013; 83: 249-254https://doi.org/10.1111/ans.12048
- Unipolar hemiarthroplasty versus bipolar hemiarthroplasty in patients with displaced femoral neck fractures: a four-year follow-up of a randomised controlled trial.Int Orthop. 2013; 37: 2457-2464https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-013-2117-9
- Total hip arthroplasty or hemiarthroplasty for hip fracture.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 2199-2208https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1906190
- Meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials comparing unipolar with bipolar hemiarthroplasty for displaced femoral-neck fractures.Database Abstr Rev Eff. 2014; 38: 1691-1696https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-014-2355-5
- Unipolar versus bipolar hemiarthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Orthop Surg Res. 2015; 10: 8https://doi.org/10.1186/s13018-015-0165-0
- Bipolar versus unipolar hemiarthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures in the elder patient: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials.Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2015; 25: 425-433https://doi.org/10.1007/s00590-014-1565-2
- Bipolar or unipolar hemiarthroplasty after femoral neck fracture in the geriatric population.Balkan Med J. 2013; 30: 400-405https://doi.org/10.5152/balkanmedj.2013.8571
- Bipolar versus monopolar hemiarthroplasty for displaced femur neck fractures: a meta-analysis study.Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2020; 30: 401-410https://doi.org/10.1007/s00590-019-02600-6
- Data collection form. EPOC Resources for review authors. Oslo: Norwegian Knowledge Centre for the Health Services.[Accessed 23.12.2018])
- The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (Sf-36): I. conceptual framework and item selection.Med Care. 1992; 30: 473-483https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199206000-00002
- Traumatic arthritis of the hip after dislocation and acetabular fractures: treatment by mold arthroplasty. An end-result study using a new method of result evaluation.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1969; 51: 737-755https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-196951040-00012
- Reliability of modified Harris hip score as a tool for outcome evaluation of total hip replacements in Indian population.J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2019; 10: 128-130https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcot.2017.11.019
- Validation study of WOMAC: a health status instrument for measuring clinically important patient relevant outcomes to antirheumatic drug therapy in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee.J Rheumatol. 1988; 15: 1833-1840
- EuroQol - a new facility for the measurement of health-related quality of life.Health Policy. 1990; 16: 199-208https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-8510(90)90421-9
- Higgins J.P.T. Green S. Cochrane handbook for conducting systematic reviews. 2011[Accessed 15.11.2018])
- Grading quality of evidence and strength of recommendations.BMJ. 2004; 328: 1490-1494https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.328.7454.1490
- Estimating the mean and variance from the median, range, and the size of a sample.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2005; 5: 13https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-5-13
- Statistical power analysis for the behavioural sciences.Lawrence Earlbaum Associates, Hillside, NJ1988
- The Cochran-Mantel-Haenszel Method. Boston University School of Public Health.2016https://sphweb.bumc.bu.edu/otlt/mph-modules/bs/bs704-ep713_confounding-em/BS704-EP713_Confounding-EM7.html([Accessed 23.12.2018])
- Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses.BMJ. 2003; 327: 557-560https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.327.7414.557
- Meta-analysis in the design and monitoring of clinical trials.Stat Med. 1996; 15: 1237-1252https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0258(19960630)15:12<1237::AID-SIM301>3.0.CO;2-N
- Bipolar versus fixed-head hip arthroplasty for femoral neck fractures in elderly patients.Strategies Trauma Limb Reconstr. 2011; 6: 1-6https://doi.org/10.1007/s11751-010-0100-1
- Unipolar or bipolar prosthesis for displaced intracapsular hip fracture in octogenarians: a randomises prospective study.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1996; 78-B: 391-394https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620x78b3.1173
- Unipolar versus bipolar hemiarthroplasty for the treatment of femoral neck fractures in the elderly.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1998; : 67-71https://doi.org/10.1177/001088049904000308
- Higher cartilage wear in unipolar than bipolar hemiarthroplasties of the hip at 2 years: a randomized controlled radiostereometric study in 19 fit elderly patients with femoral neck fractures.Acta Orthop. 2018; 89: 503-508https://doi.org/10.1080/17453674.2018.1475899
- Roentgen stereophotogrammetric analysis and clinical assessment of unipolar versus bipolar hemiarthroplasty for subcapital femur fracture: a randomized prospective study.ANZ J Surg. 2010; 80: 242-246https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1445-2197.2009.05040.x
- Uni- and bipolar hemiarthroplasty with a modern cemented femoral component provides elderly patients with displaced femoral neck fractures with equal functional outcome and survivorship at medium-term follow-up.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2014; 134: 1251-1259https://doi.org/10.1007/s00402-014-2053-1
- Bipolar hemiarthroplasty in femoral neck fractures.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 1995; 114: 79-82https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00422830
- Comparative study in surgical outcome of intracapsular fracture neck of femur in active elderly patients treated with hemiarthroplasty with Austin Moore’s and bipolar prosthesis.Nepal Med Coll J. 2013; 15: 81-83
- Unipolar or bipolar hemiarthroplasty for femoral neck fractures in the elderly?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003; : 259-265https://doi.org/10.1097/01.blo.0000081938.75404.09
- A randomized controlled trial comparing the Thompson hemiarthroplasty with the Exeter polished tapered stem and Unitrax modular head in the treatment of displaced intracapsular fractures of the hip.Bone Joint J. 2018; 100B: 352-360https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.100B3.BJJ-2017-0872.R2
- Treatment of femoral neck fractures: unipolar versus bipolar hemiarthroplasty.Malaysian Orthop J. 2013; 7: 6-11https://doi.org/10.5704/MOJ.1307.007
- Higher risk of reoperation for bipolar and uncemented hemiarthroplasty.Acta Orthop. 2012; 83: 459-466https://doi.org/10.3109/17453674.2012.727076
- How to identify randomized controlled trials in MEDLINE: ten years on.J Med Libr Assoc. 2006; 94: 130-136
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
PROSPERO registration number: CRD42018114894.
Funding: This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
One or more of the authors of this paper have disclosed potential or pertinent conflicts of interest, which may include receipt of payment, either direct or indirect, institutional support, or association with an entity in the biomedical field which may be perceived to have potential conflict of interest with this work. For full disclosure statements refer to https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2021.12.004.