Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Estimating hip fracture morbidity, mortality and costs.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: 364-370
- Analysis of past secular trends of hip fractures and predicted number in the future 2010-2050.J Orthop Trauma. 2012; 26: 117-122
- Incidence and mortality of hip fractures in the United States.JAMA. 2009; 302: 1573-1579
- Total hip replacement versus open reduction and internal fixation of displaced femoral neck fractures: a randomized long-term follow-up study.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012; 94: 1921-1928
- Internal fixation compared with total hip replacement for displaced femoral neck fractures: a minimum fifteen-year follow-up study of a previously reported randomized trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014; 96: e46
- Long-term follow-up of replacement compared with internal fixation for displaced femoral neck fractures: results at ten years in a randomised study of 450 patients.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2010; 92: 406-412
- The cost-utility of total hip arthroplasty: earlier intervention, improved economics.J Arthroplasty. 2015; 30: 945-949
- The operation of the century: total hip replacement.Lancet. 2007; 370: 1508-1519
- Patient-reported outcomes following total hip arthroplasty: a multicenter comparison based on surgical approaches.J Arthroplasty. 2020; 35: 1029-1035.e3
- Complications following total hip arthroplasty: a nationwide database study comparing elective vs hip fracture cases.J Arthroplasty. 2020; 35: 2144-2148.e3
- Bundled payments in total joint arthroplasty: targeting opportunities for quality improvement and cost reduction.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014; 472: 188-193
- Improvement in total joint replacement quality metrics: year one versus year three of the bundled payments for care improvement initiative.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2016; 98: 1949-1953
- BPCI: everyone wins, including the patient.J Arthroplasty. 2017; 32: 1728-1731
- Improving value in total joint arthroplasty: a comprehensive patient education and management program decreases discharge to post-acute care facilities and post-operative complications.J Arthroplasty. 2018; 33: 14-18
- Effect of bundled payments and health care reform as alternative payment models in total joint arthroplasty: a clinical review.J Arthroplasty. 2017; 32: 2590-2597
- The “hip fracture” bundle-experiences, challenges, and opportunities.Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2020; 11 (2151459320910846)
- Hip fracture does not belong in the elective arthroplasty bundle: presentation, outcomes, and service utilization differ in fracture arthroplasty care.J Arthroplasty. 2018; 33: S56-S60
- Target price adjustment for hip fractures is not sufficient in the bundled payments for care improvement initiative.J Arthroplasty. 2020; 36: 47-53
- Hip arthroplasty for fracture vs elective care: one bundle does not fit all.J Arthroplasty. 2017; 32: 2353-2358
- Hip fractures and the bundle: a cost analysis of patients undergoing hip arthroplasty for femoral neck fracture vs degenerative joint disease.J Arthroplasty. 2018; 33: 1681-1685
- Bundled payment initiative for hip fracture arthroplasty patients: one institution's experience.J Orthop Trauma. 2019; 33: e89-e92
- The Frank Stinchfield Award : total hip arthroplasty for femoral neck fracture is not a typical DRG 470: a propensity-matched cohort study.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2017; 475: 353-363
- Coding algorithms for defining comorbidities in ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 administrative data.Med Care. 2005; 43: 1130-1139
- Bundled payments for care improvement learning & resources area.(U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services)[Accessed 23.12.2021])
- Spinal anesthesia is associated with decreased complications after total knee and hip arthroplasty.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2020; 28: e213-e221
- Implementation of a value-driven outcomes program to identify high variability in clinical costs and outcomes and association with reduced cost and improved quality.JAMA. 2016; 316: 1061-1072
- Patient selection in the Comprehensive Care for Joint Replacement model.Health Serv Res. 2021; : 1-19
- Comparison of hospitals participating in Medicare's voluntary and mandatory orthopedic bundle programs.Health Aff (Millwood). 2018; 37: 854-863
- Perioperative mortality after cemented or uncemented hemiarthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures-a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Arthroplasty. 2021; 36: 777-787.e1
- Operative mortality after arthroplasty for femoral neck fracture and hospital volume.Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2015; 6: 239-245
- Outcomes of hemiarthroplasty and total hip arthroplasty for femoral neck fracture: a Medicare cohort study.J Orthop Trauma. 2017; 31: 260-263
- The association between hospital length of stay and 90-day readmission risk for femoral neck fracture patients: within a total joint arthroplasty bundled payment initiative.J Arthroplasty. 2016; 31: 2741-2745
- The Lawrence D. Dorr Surgical Techniques & Technologies Award: differences in postoperative outcomes between total hip arthroplasty for fracture vs osteoarthritis.J Arthroplasty. 2017; 32: S3-S7
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Investigation performed at The University of Utah Orthopedic Center in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Funding source: This research was partially supported by Federal research grant #R01HS024714 from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality .
Conflicts of Interest: The authors report no conflicts of interest specifically relevant to this study.
One or more of the authors of this paper have disclosed potential or pertinent conflicts of interest, which may include receipt of payment, either direct or indirect, institutional support, or association with an entity in the biomedical field which may be perceived to have potential conflict of interest with this work. For full disclosure statements refer to https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2021.12.027.