- •Majority of WHO Class 2 and 3 obese patients undergoing THA maintained BMI peri-operatively.
- •Class 3 obese patients less likely to gain weight than Class 2 patients pre-operatively.
- •Primary predictor of post-operative weight gain was pre-operative weight loss.
- •Weight gain pre- and post-operatively not associated with worse clinical outcomes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Obesity and osteoarthritis: more than just wear and tear.The Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2013 Mar; 21 (Epub 2013/03/05): 161-169
- Obesity and osteoarthritis, more than just wear and tear: pivotal roles for inflamed adipose tissue and dyslipidaemia in obesity-induced osteoarthritis.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2015 Apr; 54 (Epub 2014/12/17): 588-600
- Mechanisms, Pathophysiology, and Management of Obesity.N Engl J Med. 2017 Apr 13; 376 (Epub 2017/04/14): 1491-1492
- Obesity increases length of stay and direct medical costs in total hip arthroplasty.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014 Apr; 472 (Epub 2013/10/09): 1232-1239
- Preoperative body mass index and physical function are associated with length of stay and facility discharge after total knee arthroplasty.Knee. 2017 Jun; 24 (Epub 2017/03/25): 634-640
- Complications and Obesity in Arthroplasty-A Hip is Not a Knee.J Arthroplasty. 2018 Oct; 33 (Epub 2018/04/11): 3281-3287
- Revision Rates and Functional Outcome Scores for Severely, Morbidly, and Super-Obese Patients Undergoing Primary Total Hip Arthroplasty: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.JBJS Rev. 2019 Apr; 7 (Epub 2019/05/03): e11
- Bariatric surgery does not improve outcomes in patients undergoing primary total knee arthroplasty.The bone & joint journal. 2015 Nov; 97-b (Epub 2015/11/05): 1501-1505
- Weight changes after total hip or knee arthroplasty: prevalence, predictors, and effects on outcomes.The Journal of bone and joint surgery American volume. 2015 Jun 3; 97 (Epub 2015/06/05): 911-919
- Weight patterns before and after total joint arthroplasty and characteristics associated with weight change.Perm J. 2014 Winter; 18 (Epub 2014/03/15): 25-31
- Do patients lose weight after joint arthroplasty surgery? A systematic review.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013 Jan; 471 (Epub 2012/09/08): 291-298
- The impact of pre-operative obesity on weight change and outcome in total knee replacement: a prospective study of 529 consecutive patients.The Journal of bone and joint surgery British volume. 2010 Apr; 92 (Epub 2010/04/02): 513-520
Food, Administration D. Guidance for industry: developing products for weight management (draft guidance). 2017.
- The risk of surgical site infection and re-admission in obese patients undergoing total joint replacement who lose weight before surgery and keep it off post-operatively.The bone & joint journal. 2014 May; 96-b (Epub 2014/05/03): 629-635
- Patterns of Weight Change and Their Effects on Clinical Outcomes Following Total Knee Arthroplasty in an Asian Population.J Arthroplasty. 2020 Feb; 35 (Epub 2019/09/30): 375-379
- Patient factors associated with weight gain and weight loss after knee or hip arthroplasty.Obes Res Clin Pract. 2019 Jul-Aug; 13 (Epub 2019/06/04): 371-377
- Preoperative Weight Loss for Morbidly Obese Patients Undergoing Total Knee Arthroplasty: Determining the Necessary Amount.The Journal of bone and joint surgery American volume. 2019 Aug 21; 101 (Epub 2019/08/23): 1440-1450
- Clinically important body weight gain following knee arthroplasty: a five-year comparative cohort study.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2013 May; 65 (Epub 2012/12/04): 669-677
- Clinically important body weight gain following total hip arthroplasty: a cohort study with 5-year follow-up.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2013 Jan; 21 (Epub 2012/10/11): 35-43
- Persistent effects of obesity: a neuroplasticity hypothesis.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2018 Sep; 1428 (Epub 2018/05/10): 221-239
- Four-year weight losses in the Look AHEAD study: factors associated with long-term success.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2011 Oct; 19 (Epub 2011/07/23): 1987-1998
- Race, place, and obesity: the complex relationships among community racial/ethnic composition, individual race/ethnicity, and obesity in the United States.Am J Public Health. 2012 Aug; 102 (Epub 2012/06/16): 1572-1578
- Neighborhood disparities in access to healthy foods and their effects on environmental justice.Am J Public Health. 2012 Sep; 102 (Epub 2012/07/21): 1644-1654
- Disparities in Who Receives Weight-Loss Advice From a Health Care Provider: Does Income Make a Difference?.Prev Chronic Dis. 2016 Oct 6; 13 (Epub 2016/10/07): E142
- Surgeon Decision-Making for Individuals With Obesity When Indicating Total Joint Arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2021 Aug; 36 (e1. Epub 20210306): 2708-2715
- Total hip arthroplasty outcomes in morbidly obese patients: A systematic review.EFORT Open Rev. 2018 Sep; 3 (Epub 2018/10/12): 507-512
- The impact of pre-operative weight loss on incidence of surgical site infection and readmission rates after total joint arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2014 Mar; 29 (e1. Epub 2013/09/11): 458-464
- The Cost of Malnutrition in Total Joint Arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2020 Apr; 35 (e1. Epub 2019/12/28): 926-932
- Peri-operative interventions producing better functional outcomes and enhanced recovery following total hip and knee arthroplasty: an evidence-based review.BMC Med. 2013 Feb 13; 11 (Epub 2013/02/15): 37
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Please refer to updated AAOS disclosure forms for financial disclosures and/or conflicts of interest for authors. There are no relevant disclosures for the present study.