- •No increase in dislocation or 30-day readmission rates without hip precautions.
- •Dislocation rates appeared to decline after stopping hip precautions.
- •We found evidence of earlier discharge when hip precautions were not used.
- •Potential benefits: reduced costs and faster recovery.
- •For the health system more efficient bed usage to reduce postpandemic waiting lists.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Total hip and total knee replacement: postoperative nursing management.Br J Nurs. 2008; 17: 1410-1414https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2008.17.22.31866
- Posterior approach to total hip replacement using enhanced posterior soft tissue repair.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1998; : 224-228https://doi.org/10.1097/00003086-199810000-00023
- Incidence rates of dislocation, pulmonary embolism, and deep infection during the first six months after elective total hip replacement.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003; 85: 20-26https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-200301000-00004
- Dislocation following total hip replacement.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1981; 63-B: 214-218https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.63B2.7217144
- 17th annual report: National Joint Registry for England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man.https://reports.njrcentre.org.uk/Portals/0/PDFdownloads/NJR%2017th%20Annual%20Report%202020.pdf([accessed 06.05.22])Date: 2020
- Dislocations after total hip-replacement arthroplasties.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1978; 60: 217-220
- Factors predisposing to dislocation after primary total hip arthroplasty: a multivariate analysis.J Arthroplasty. 2002; 17: 282-288https://doi.org/10.1054/arth.2002.30286
- Influence of component positions on dislocation: computed tomographic evaluations in a consecutive series of total hip arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2004; 19: 162-166https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2003.09.005
- Decreased dislocation after revision total hip arthroplasty using larger femoral head size and posterior capsular repair.J Arthroplasty. 2009; 24: 73-76https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2009.04.026
- Surgical approach, abductor function, and total hip arthroplasty dislocation.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2002; : 46-53https://doi.org/10.1097/00003086-200212000-00006
- Effect of posterior capsular repair on early dislocation in primary total hip replacement.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2001; : 163-167https://doi.org/10.1097/00003086-200112000-00019
- Dislocations after total hip arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1982; 64: 1295-1306
- Assistive devices, hip precautions, environmental modifications and training to prevent dislocation and improve function after hip arthoplasty.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 7: CD010815
- Are hip precautions necessary post total hip arthroplasty? A systematic review.Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2015; 6: 230-235https://doi.org/10.1177/2151458515584640
- Early dislocation after total hip arthroplasty: are postoperative restrictions necessary?.J Arthroplasty. 2002; 17: 1006-1008https://doi.org/10.1054/arth.2002.34534
- The role of patient restrictions in reducing the prevalence of early dislocation following total hip arthroplasty: a randomized, prospective study.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005; 87: 247-253https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.C.01513
- Hip dislocation: are hip precautions necessary in anterior approaches?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011; 469: 417-422https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-010-1668-y
- Does reduced movement restrictions and use of assistive devices affect rehabilitation outcome after total hip replacement? A non-randomized, controlled study.Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2014; 50: 383-393
- Removal of restrictions following primary THA with posterolateral approach does not increase the risk of early dislocation.Acta Orthop. 2015; 86: 463-468https://doi.org/10.3109/17453674.2015.1028009
- Are postoperative hip precautions necessary after primary total hip arthroplasty using a posterior approach? Preliminary results of a prospective randomized trial.J Arthroplasty. 2020; 35: S246-S251https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2020.02.019
- The rate of dislocation is not increased when minimal precautions are used after total hip arthroplasty using the posterolateral approach.Bone Joint J. 2016; 98: 589-594https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.98B5.36701
- Recurrent dislocation after total hip arthroplasty: controversies and solutions.Instr Course Lect. 2019; 68: 169-186
- Early- and late- term dislocation risk after primary hip arthroplasty in the medicare population.J Arthroplasty. 2010; 25: 21-25https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2010.04.014
- Constrained acetabular liners.J Arthroplasty. 2018; 33: 1331-1336https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2018.01.026
- Evaluation of hip precautions following total hip replacement: a before and after study.Disabil Rehabil. 2020; 43: 2882-2889https://doi.org/10.1080/09638288.2020.1721575
- UK survey of occupational therapist’s and physiotherapist’s experiences and attitudes towards hip replacement precautions and equipment.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016; 17: 228https://doi.org/10.1186/s12891-016-1092-x
- Hospital Episode Statistics (HES) Analysis Guide.NHS Digital, London, UK2018
- Anonymisation Standard for Publishing Health and Social Care Data Specification (Process Standard).NHS Digital, London, UK2013
- Development and validation of a hospital frailty risk score focusing on older people in acute care settings using electronic hospital records: an observational study.Lancet. 2018; 391: 1775-1782
- The health care data guide: learning from data for improvement.John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, NJ2011
- 2017/18 Reference costs and guidance 2019.[accessed 08.07.21])
- Influence of preoperative patient education on the risk of dislocation after primary total hip arthroplasty.Arthritis Rheum. 2009; 61: 552-558https://doi.org/10.1002/art.24340
- The effect of surgical approach in total hip replacement on outcomes: an analysis of 723,904 elective operations from the National Joint Registry for England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man.BMC Med. 2020; 18: 242https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-020-01672-0
- Does surgical approach affect total hip arthroplasty dislocation rates?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006; 447: 34-38https://doi.org/10.1097/01.blo.0000218746.84494.df
- The number of patients “worse than death” while waiting for a hip or knee arthroplasty has nearly doubled during the COVID-19 pandemic.Bone Joint J. 2021; 103-B: 672-680https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.103B.BJJ-2021-0104.R1
One or more of the authors of this paper have disclosed potential or pertinent conflicts of interest, which may include receipt of payment, either direct or indirect, institutional support, or association with an entity in the biomedical field which may be perceived to have potential conflict of interest with this work. For full disclosure statements refer to https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2022.05.040.
Funding: This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Information Governance: This report does not contain patient identifiable data. The data in this report are anonymized. A request for any underlying data will not be granted as the data are calculated from data under license/data sharing agreement from the NHS Digital and/or other data provider where conditions of use (and further use) apply. Copyright 2011-2019 reused with the permission of the Health and Social Care Information Center. All rights reserved.