Level of Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The lawrence D. Dorr surgical techniques & technologies award: why are contemporary revision total hip arthroplasties failing? An analysis of 2500 cases.J Arthroplasty. 2019; 34: S11-S16
- The epidemiology of revision total hip arthroplasty in the United States.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009; 91: 128-133
- Current epidemiology of revision total hip arthroplasty in the United States: National Inpatient sample 2009 to 2013.J Arthroplasty. 2017; 32: 2088-2092
- Revision hip arthroplasty: infection is the most common cause of failure.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010; 468: 2046-2051
- Economic burden of periprosthetic joint infection in the United States.J Arthroplasty. 2012; 27: 61-65.e1
- Short-term complications after revision hip arthroplasty for prosthetic joint infection are increased relative to noninfectious revisions.J Arthroplasty. 2018; 33: 2997-3002
- In-hospital mortality in patients with periprosthetic joint infection.J Arthroplasty. 2017; 32: 948-952.e1
- Periprosthetic joint infection increases the risk of one-year mortality.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013; 95: 2177-2184
- Why revision total hip arthroplasty fails.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009; 467: 166-173
- Failure rates for 4762 revision total hip arthroplasties in the Norwegian Arthroplasty Register.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2004; 86: 504-509
- Periprosthetic joint infection in aseptic total hip arthroplasty revision.Int Orthop. 2020; 44: 735-741
- Extended antibiotic prophylaxis confers No benefit following aseptic revision total hip arthroplasty: a matched case-controlled study.J Arthroplasty. 2019; 34: 2724-2729
- Morbidly obese vs nonobese aseptic revision total hip arthroplasty: surprisingly similar outcomes.J Arthroplasty. 2016; 31: 842-845
- Do extended oral postoperative antibiotics prevent early periprosthetic joint infection in morbidly obese patients undergoing primary total joint arthroplasty?.J Arthroplasty. 2021; 36: 2716-2721
- The mark coventry, MD, award: oral antibiotics reduce reinfection after two-stage exchange: a multicenter, randomized controlled trial.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2017; 475: 56-61
- Extended oral antibiotic prophylaxis in high-risk patients substantially reduces primary total hip and knee arthroplasty 90-day infection rate.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2018; 100: 2103-2109
- The AAHKS clinical research award: extended oral antibiotics prevent periprosthetic joint infection in high-risk cases: 3855 patients with 1-year follow-up.J Arthroplasty. 2021; 36: S18-S25
- 2020 Mark Coventry Award: microorganism-directed oral antibiotics reduce the rate of failure due to further infection after two-stage revision hip or knee arthroplasty for chronic infection: a multicentre randomized controlled trial at a minimum of two years.Bone Joint J. 2020; 102-B: 3-9
- Maintaining a hip registry for 25 years. Mayo clinic experience.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1997; 344: 61-68
- New definition for periprosthetic joint infection: from the workgroup of the musculoskeletal infection society.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011; 469: 2992-2994
- Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations.J Am Stat Assoc. 1958; 53: 457-481
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Extended oral antibiotic prophylaxis after aseptic revision TKA: does it decrease infection risk?.J Arthroplasty. 2022; 37: S997-S1003.e1
Investigation performed at the Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota.
One or more of the authors of this paper have disclosed potential or pertinent conflicts of interest, which may include receipt of payment, either direct or indirect, institutional support, or association with an entity in the biomedical field which may be perceived to have potential conflict of interest with this work. For full disclosure statements refer to https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2022.06.023.