Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Resuming driving after a fracture of the lower extremity: a survey among Dutch (orthopaedic) surgeons.Injury. 2005; 36: 1365-1370https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2005.05.039
- Driving whilst plastered: is it safe, is it legal? A survey of advice to patients given by orthopaedic surgeons, insurance companies and the police.Injury. 2004; 35: 883-887https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2003.08.012
- “When can I return to driving?”: a review of the current literature on returning to driving after lower limb injury or arthroplasty.Bone Joint J. 2013; 95-B: 290-294https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620x.95b3.29540
- Reaction time and brake pedal force after total knee replacement: timeframe for return to car driving.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2021; 29: 3213-3220https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-020-06105-2
- Medical conditions and driving: a review of the scientific literature (1960 - 2000).US Department of Transportation, Washington, DC2005[accessed 15.03.22])
- Pomidor A. Clinician’s guide to assessing and counseling older drivers. The American Geriatrics Society, Washington, DC2019[accessed 15.03.22])
- Physician’s guide to assessing and counselling older drivers.National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, DC2003[accessed 15.07.22])
- National safety code, standard 6: driver fitness in Canada.CCMTA, Ottawa, Ontario2021http://www.ccmta.ca/en/national-safety-code-:∼:text=CCMTA%20has%20developed%20a%20standard,both%20private%20and%20commercial%20drivers([accessed 15.03.22])
- CMA Driver’s Guide: determining medical fitness to operate motor vehicles. 9. Joule Inc, Ottawa, Ontario2019[accessed 15.03.22]) 1st ed.
- Assessing fitness to drive for commercial and private vehicle drivers austroads Ltd.[accessed 15.07.22])
- Assessing fitness to drive - a guide for medical professionals.DVLA, Swansea2021[accessed 15.03.22])
- Return-to-driving recommendations after lower-extremity orthopaedic procedures.JBJS Rev. 2020; 8: e2000066https://doi.org/10.2106/jbjs.rvw.20.00066
- Resuming motor vehicle driving following orthopaedic surgery or limb trauma.Swiss Med Wkly. 2012; 142: w13716https://doi.org/10.4414/smw.2012.13716
- When can I drive after orthopaedic surgery? A systematic review.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2016; 474: 2557-2570https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-016-5007-9
- Driving reaction time after right knee arthroscopy.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2000; 8: 89-92https://doi.org/10.1007/s001670050192
- Timeframe for return to driving for patients with minimally invasive knee arthroplasty is associated with knee performance on functional tests.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2014; 15: 198https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-15-198
- Driving reaction time before and after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2000; 8: 226-230https://doi.org/10.1007/s001670000115
- Factors associated with early return to driving following total joint arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2021; 36: 3392-3400https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2021.05.028
- When is it safe to resume driving after total hip and total knee arthroplasty? a meta-analysis of literature on post-operative brake reaction times.Bone Joint J. 2017; 99-B: 566-576https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620x.99b5.bjj-2016-1064.r1
- Braking time following total knee arthroplasty: a systematic review.J Arthroplasty. 2018; 33: 284-290.e281https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2017.08.012
- Driving after musculoskeletal injury. Addressing patient and surgeon concerns in an urban orthopaedic practice.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008; 90: 2791-2797https://doi.org/10.2106/jbjs.h.00431
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding: This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
One or more of the authors of this paper have disclosed potential or pertinent conflicts of interest, which may include receipt of payment, either direct or indirect, institutional support, or association with an entity in the biomedical field which may be perceived to have potential conflict of interest with this work. For full disclosure statements refer to https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2022.10.024.